Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Work At Home or Get a Job?

I've worked all my life since after high school when I started as a bank teller. Ten years in the banking industry has been good to me. I've gained a lot of skills including leadership, management, & social skills. Not to mention good pay. I have been fortunate to have a job to help sustain my family and live a lifestyle in which we didn't have to struggle.

Being in the Philippines for five months now it feels weird not working at a JOB but don't get me wrong I definitely do not miss the stress of having a job. I have been keeping myself busy with writing three business plans actually and another two business ideas that I have also. Which leads me to think about if I really want to stress myself out again by working. I knew that I didn't come to the Philippines only just to work for someone else. Unless you have your own business or you have a high status job here then you are likely to make enough money to just barely get by here. It's a sad truth that many people experience here but that is how it goes.

Being an entrepreneur is not easy either. It takes time, dedication and the will to work like you've never worked before. There is however, different types of things you can do as an entrepreneur such as working from home in the comfort of your own home or starting a brick and mortar business. The business plans I had written were in fact for brick and mortar businesses and I'm starting to think that it might not be something that I don't want to pursue at the moment. The reason why I'm saying that is the fact that I will be taking time away from the kids and the time that I spend with them in studying with them for school.

While I know I could hire people to do the work, it's not that easy to do that here in the Philippines, I don't think it's easy to do that anywhere. The labor costs are real low so it wouldn't be hard to find people looking for work per se but the difficult part is finding the right people that will do the work and people that you can trust. On top of that since I don't speak the language it's harder for me to really trust someone and know if they are really on my side or just out to con me. It's not good to think about things like that but if you don't then you will not be prepared if something bad does happen.

I know that if I do start a brick and mortar business I will be spending a lot of time getting it up and running and not dedicating the time to my kids and that was the main reason that I liked about being here was the time with my kids. For the last couple of days now I've been online trying to think of things that I could do from the comfort of home and not compromise the time with the kids. Of course the main thing that I found was internet marketing. There are a bunch of different ways I can make money online, some that are just flat out scams but some that are legitimate and worth it and will actually make me money. One thing that I have already established is this blog that I'm writing in right now. Although I started this blog to keep in touch with friends back home and for them to keep track of what's happening with my life here in the Philippines I didn't realize that I could also make money from it also. It's a natural progression that I think would be good for me. I don't consider myself a great writer and I know that it will take time to hone my skills but I think I could write some stuff that people will be interested in.

One last thing before I close out this post (I know, this post is long already) is that I actually applied to be a Foreign Service Officer otherwise known as a Diplomat. I know I just posted about not getting a job but after learning about what they do it sparked an interest in me and being curious I decided to just go through the process to see where it would take me. On top of that I thought it would be some good experience for me. Being a Foreign Service Officer means being employed by the US Department of State and being dedicated to representing America and responding to the needs of American citizens in other countries. I will be taking the test in March at the Embassy in Manila so I will keep everyone updated on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment